Home | About | Area Directory | Classifieds | Free Email | Site Map

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tawakoni News: WalMart coming to Quinlan (Read 33289 times)
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Tawakoni News: WalMart coming to Quinlan
Mar 17th, 2005, 7:08pm

Shocked
This is pretty big!
Read in the local paper that it appears
certain there will be a very large (21 acres)
Wal Mart on Hwy 34 just south of Dairy Queen
scheduled to be completed by Feb. 2007.

IP Logged
CptJack
Godd Member

Nearest fishin hole
Re: Tawakoni News: WalMart coming to Quinlan
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2005, 10:16am

<sigh>
There goes the neighborhood.  Grin

If ya aint fishin ,you aint living
  IP Logged
Lu
LTOF Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Near Quinlan
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2005, 3:47pm

This is my first attempt at posting a response.  I'm excited about the new Wal-Mart coming to town.  It will bring jobs and tax money to the area.  

I'm fairly new to the area, having recently moved from a lifetime in Dallas.  I love our small town atmosphere.

Wal-Mart is a good neighbor and has been improving steadily with all the attempts to keep them out of higher priced residential areas.

I've heard it said that they will run the little mom & pop businesses out of the area.  That's a shame but progress is progress.  In so doing, that may help to improve the image of the city and will certainly be an incentive for the smaller businesses to clean up a little bit.  I'm all for that.

Lu
  IP Logged
CptJack
Godd Member

Nearest fishin hole
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2005, 8:21pm

[quote author=Lu
I've heard it said that they will run the little mom & pop businesses out of the area.  That's a shame but progress is progress.  
[/quote]

You know, the same thing was said  about the small  family  farm as it was slowly being pushed out of business .  We certainly  lost something very important by letting this take place.  Now we are all paying the price to large cooperations and big business.
 In my opinion ,anytime the small, independent  business owner is put in jeopardy , we all pay the price and give up choices.
 There is nothing quite like the pride of a small business owner who has put everything they have in making their efforts work for them. When I see them pushed aside by big money and power , I don`t call it progress. I call it a loss.
 It amazes me when people who have lived their lives in large cities move to a rural type area. Seems the first thing they wish to do is make their new area as much like where they left from as possible.
My two cents. <shrug>.

If ya aint fishin ,you aint living
  IP Logged
mideon2000
LTOF Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2005, 12:54am

"You know, the same thing was said  about the small  family  farm as it was slowly being pushed out of business .  We certainly  lost something very important by letting this take place.  Now we are all paying the price to large cooperations and big business.""

i totally agree. walmart is nice and all, but there are simply too many imo. if they want to build on a abondoned dump or retail plaza then that is fine, but otherwise i believe there are enough already.  I don't live near the area you speak of, but i do live in in a area where progress has made a eyesore. I live in duncanville/cedarhill near dallas. There has been a boom of retail and resteraunt buisiness in this area in the past 210 years, and while some economic progress is good and needed, there is simply too much going on here. we now have horrible traffic, 5 min. drives now take 15, there are hardly any areas whre you can take a scenic drive anymore. Houses are popping up EVERYWHERE!
<p>
I used to go walking in the huge fields when i was a child and shoot my pellet gun. those fields are gone. i stopped playing in the creek behind my house after a while because neighbors complained they did not want kids running around in the creek, even though we were pretty much by ourselves for years and years. I can't do anything like that anymore.
<p>
And before it is said, i am not some 50 year old grumpy old man clinging to my past, i am a 22 year old college student that is trying to have some of his past kept from being bulldozed so more houses can be built. progress is not progress when you can't go fishing on the banks of a lake anymore without being near or behind someone's house,  Progress is not progress when you have to drive 2 hours to enjoy the great outdoors and nature. Progress is utilizing the small amount of land we have in a smart way. Wal mart does not do this. they squeeze the little shops out and come in with a big massive store.
<p>
I believe that small towns should not give in to these big retail chains. You may need a walmart in cities, but not in every small town. sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents.

IP Logged
Lu
LTOF Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Near Quinlan
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2005, 12:56pm

Wow!  Lots of opinions here.  And ya know, I can see everyone's points.  You're right about the big corporate farmer squeezing out the small family farms - what a shame!  Truly!  I'd like to see those types of businesses revived in a big way.

However, the type of businesses I was primarily speaking of were those that have old tires out in the front of their shops and those small businesses that do not appear neat and clean.  I moved to Quinlan for the small town atmosphere.  I don't want high-rises built in our little town.  I just want it to be a small town with a friendly and clean ambience.   Some of the businesses we have in Quinlan don't have any signage to help you figure out where to enter the business, much less whether they're open or not.  Some of the businesses, I don't even know what their business is.

I also look at the Wal-Mart as progress in that it will bring much needed jobs to the area.  Where do our teens go to work when they're ready for their first jobs?  We need the work to be local so they don't have to be on our dangerous highways traveling to Terrell and Greenville.

I love living at Lake Tawakoni and don't want our area to change into a big city - but it will be nice to have our own Wal-Mart in town so I don't have to drive to Greenville.

Lu
  IP Logged
mideon2000
LTOF Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2005, 1:30pm

lol, sorry if i came off a little brash. yes walmart is a good employer ( i worked for them a couple of years) i just meant they don't need one every few miles. i'm not sure how many are out there so if there are not too many then it is probably a good thing.

IP Logged
Lu
LTOF Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Near Quinlan
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2005, 8:21am

I noticed this morning on my way in to Dallas that one of our beloved old tire shops is gone off of Hwy 34!  Did anyone else notice???

Lu
  IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2005, 9:20am

I didn't... but I do know that
annexation of the proposed
land is complete. All signs
are go on the walmart.
Tom

IP Logged
Lu
LTOF Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Near Quinlan
Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2005, 9:26am

Since the annexation of property has been completed, does anyone know if that mean the floral shop will be moving?
Lu

Lu
  IP Logged
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2005, 4:04am

This is good news!   Cheesy

IP Logged
scottyd007
LTOF Newbies

king of sales

dallas
Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2005, 6:31pm

I am very pleased about the projected economic growth for the City of Quinlan. As we as residents know, the reputation of Quinlaln and West Tawakoni are not well recievied by our surounding Cities & Towns. It will be really nice to patron new businesses that come to our community other than video poker game rooms, bars, taverns, and used tire shops. I am a very concernerd about how our local municipalities are  responding to  issues such as code enforcement, animal control, the saftey of our hwys, and the illegal drugs that are being manufactured and distributed in our community. There are many advantages to economic growth in a small town. The question is the City of Quinlan ready?

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2005, 10:46am by scottyd007 »  
scottyd007 scottyd007   IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2005, 10:44am

I agree in principle.
The changes will be a step forward overall.
I would have rather seen a different store tho,
say a Sears / K-mart hybrid maybe.
A new Walmart opens every 38 hours I have heard.
Tom

IP Logged
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2005, 11:36am

"Now we have a real town."

IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone