Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
can of worms (Read 18587 times)
asst_chief
LTOF Newbies

quinlan
can of worms
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:31pm

not trying to open a can of worms but ,what do any one think of our current city council (quinlan),any comments, lemme know,i want to help this community any way possible,and i need fedd back to get the ball rolling.i need topics gripes concerns, anything, like quinlan has no place for our children to play,a park with play ground small lake,bike trails ,picanic,ect ,gimme some feed back,

IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Re: can of worms
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2006, 8:59am

No can of worms there, never hurts to think out loud.
I'm 10 miles east of Quinlan, and I ain't no expert, but
seems to me infrastructure will have to be beefed up
first. Got that shiny new mega-store, with all the new
revenue and the other business that is sure to follow,
which surely means new traffic.
34 needs to be better.
Seems like I remember a parking problem downtown,
that stretch of 276 needs a redesign, building facades
need updated and parking made better.
It needs to look more appealing even if 276 is re-
routed as I think it will be.
Street lights.
Housing is tricky right now, but we can grow that way
too, which means new roads, subdivisions.
Nice, new apartment complexes???
A theatre?
Tom

IP Logged
Pushdown33

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Quinlan
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2006, 11:04pm

I like the can of
worms you have opened.
I love the idea of a park the state park just isn't what it should be and is to far for some people to try and find.
I always made the serious joke to my husband that if we ever won the lottery I would build a park and rec. center for the kids.
A real one not some cheap hole in the wall like some places where the kids just hang out to do drugs like some others I have taken my kids to.
The roads are a major issue like stated earlier.And this town could use a BIG clean up. We look so trashy to new comers. I hope that the new walmart doesn't end up looking like Terrells or Balch Springs. Roll Eyes

"If God brings you to it,He will bring you through it"
  IP Logged
asst_chief
LTOF Newbies

quinlan
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2006, 7:24am

sorry for my spelling it was late when i wrote that,but ya this is such a good town with good people.grants are available for projects like parks,and the government gives them away like candy,i hope walmart pushes the city to fix its problems,like street repairs,traffic,and apperance,but not many people attend the councle mettings,the only way we can make it better,is to make them do it.

IP Logged
melndon

Skeeter Rules

quinlan
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2007, 7:35am

I agree with everyone. The biggest eyesores are the gamerooms and broken down buildings. Tire Shops and lake shorelines. VERY TRASHY.... You can have a tire shop without it looking bad. They are all over the place in DFW.

Clean up and improvements are vital.

IP Logged
5th grader

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 2:59pm

I would have to say that I agree with the CLEAN it up statement. We have lived here for 8 years and sent our children (at our own expense) to Wills Point school district because we did not like the way things were in Quinlan. We then let one child join the QSA (Quinlan Sports Assoc.) for baseball. The first game in Quinlan was a VERY embarrassing time. There was trash....everywhere, the toilets did not work and were backed up everywhere so unsuspecting people walked in it! Children were sent by their PARENTS to "pee" beside and behind cars in full view of the spectators...it seemed normal to them.

It seems the entire town is just used to being labeled as trash and are content to let that go unchanged. The downtown area has roofs caving in on businesses, last years X-mas decorations still up, trash blowing down the street, empty, abandoned buildings decaying right on the main avenues, ect. Is it really a shock no other business wants to come here?

Apathy, they should change the town name to Apathy.

If this made you mad, do something to change it.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2008, 6:30pm

I wish you lots of luck with that..We stays in Tawakoni and that is where I am going to start

IP Logged
CptJack
Godd Member

Nearest fishin hole
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2008, 3:36pm

5th grader wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008, 2:59pm:
I would have to say that I agree with the CLEAN it up statement. We have lived here for 8 years and sent our children (at our own expense) to Wills Point school district because we did not like the way things were in Quinlan. We then let one child join the QSA (Quinlan Sports Assoc.) for baseball. The first game in Quinlan was a VERY embarrassing time. There was trash....everywhere, the toilets did not work and were backed up everywhere so unsuspecting people walked in it! Children were sent by their PARENTS to "pee" beside and behind cars in full view of the spectators...it seemed normal to them.

It seems the entire town is just used to being labeled as trash and are content to let that go unchanged. The downtown area has roofs caving in on businesses, last years X-mas decorations still up, trash blowing down the street, empty, abandoned buildings decaying right on the main avenues, ect. Is it really a shock no other business wants to come here?

Apathy, they should change the town name to Apathy.

If this made you mad, do something to change it.

Two sides to every coin. It was a small town with a small town population. Very nice, clean, everyone takes time to wave, small family business town. Small town......the country.
Then.......the onslaught from the west. I think you can relate to what I am saying. You know ,(tbell look the other way for a sec will ya?), those that wanted out of the big city to live the country life and couldn`t wait to get out. Nothing wrong with that. BOOM...every nook and cranny gets filled with housing to meet the demands of those that came to live the country life. With cellphones in the ear, putting on makeup , traveling at speeds on rock or asphalt roads that matched that of LBJ ,you don`t have much time to put that coke can or that Mickey Dees bag in a container until it can be disposed of..so out the window it goes. Big deal right? It`s not like it is the city after all. What does these country hicks care? Wonder why there is so much trash now? You live here and you state how concerned you are about it. Citizens pride groups..volunteers for clean up, shine up days. Who starts these groups anyway? I believe those that are part of any community and those that take part in the changes they desire for their community do. If things need doing that would ease your frustration at anger on how your  community appears. Then YOU as a part of that community should organize and take part in the changes that need to be made. Get involved. Do something to make it better. It`s yours now. Your responsibility. The City Of Dallas isn`t going to come do it. Smiley It`s still the country....or at least what is left of it after the gold rush.
The small town where I was raised and lived before moving here had a cure for sports field bathroom appearance and condition. It was the Booster Club and the Sports Club Association. The same people who had kids in sports or supported the kids because they wanted them to have pride in their community and their participation in the sports. The bathrooms at the baseball field didn`t meet your specs? There is a cure. Fix it. Start an organization to cure the problems that you are appalled by. Don`t shout at the rooftops about your total indignity. Who do you think is supposed to bring things up to meet your standards?
I have to comment on the kids peeing behind the cars and parents acting like it is normal. Well...........it`s is or least was the country. It is normal..or was. People from the country never got too uptight about not having a shinie porcelain receptacle. Mother nature just came..well naturally. Bring it up to specs.
Those that made the great escape from the big city to live the country life were a little put off that you didn`t just rush downtown and pick up an Ipod or grab a snack on the run at the nearest McDonalds. How do you wash your car in three minutes with a water hose? How totally barbaric. Smiley Have to go to one business to get groceries and another to get those nifty $200.00 pair of tennis shoes......ummm I mean designer sports footwear? Can`t have that. Hello Wallie World, Welcome Mickey Dees, Hello <insert any Name> Auto Parts store. This place is shaping up now. At least it has some of the things that the big city that we escaped from has. Of course those long time , family or locally owned businesses don`t and can`t exist anymore. wonder where those empty old buildings came from? they used to be the heart of the small town that once was. Traffic is terrible. Has to be something done about that. Where in the world did all those people come from? It`s nearly impossible to get through all that if you are trying to catch up on your checking account balance and talk to your BFF on the cell phone while driving. What is wrong with these crazy country people?
In order for the name change to Apathy to take place someone would have to get involved enough and take part enough for it to happen. Who are "they" anyway?

Last but not least in regards to ..."If this made you mad, do something to change it."

I have a better idea. How about YOU get involved and change it? It`s your community. "They" are you.

See part two. Smiley

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008, 3:57pm by CptJack »  

If ya aint fishin ,you aint living
  IP Logged
CptJack
Godd Member

Nearest fishin hole
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2008, 3:44pm

Part two:

The above was not really directed personally to or at you. I understand how and why you stated your case. Not really coming down on you personally hard as it appears. Just trying to make a point.
When I moved to my area of the lake 5 or 6 years ago, I saw things that I thought could be made neater, better and would make me and the other people in the area feel better. I cleaned, cleared, cut burned , sprayed, did dirt work and even did some night security in the area until the problems that were hear didn`t have a need to hang around late at night.
I started it and more and more jumped on the bandwagon.
We`re still just a little low income , hick community, but we moved here because we ARE country. It`s just that cleaning up all the mess those city slickers leave regularly is a never ending story. Smiley

Mr. Mellencamp and I  see eye to eye. Smiley

Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic thats me

But Ive seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an l.a. doll and brought her to this small town
Now shes small town just like me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look whos in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and thats good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And thats probly where theyll bury me

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008, 4:02pm by CptJack »  

IP Logged
Feather
LTOF Newbies

CptJack`s boss :)

Just around the corner
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2008, 4:38pm

Here please take my cry towel as an offer of kindness to you.Wipe your tears and let me help you . I am CptJack's wife. I understand your negative feelings. I want to help you get rid of them. First of all start with kindness not anger to get a good feeling .The answer to  your problem is in giving. Not only will it make you feel better it will help your children to feel better.  It will help others to feel better too. Family time is a great way to start. Get your children involved. Set a day to give to your city in a clean up effort . Pick up trash, show your children how to help. It will make your feel better because you are helping and your children will be proud also. Come to this forum and tell how you are giving to others and invite others to help. Get your children to ask their friends if they would like to help.  Explain to them that by being kind and helping others it will make you feel better, make them feel better and can be fun .Your little city will be a much nicer place to live and your anger will be gone in no time. Please do not judge others and keep the cry towel to give to the next person you think needs it . God Bless You.

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008, 4:44pm by Feather »  
  IP Logged
5th grader

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2008, 6:00pm

Very well. You have made a statement, you feel better about your self now and even got the wife to pitch in, great.

The pizza place in town did not just start falling apart and down since Wal-Mart came to town.
The old gin did not just become covered in obscenities since Wal-Mart came to town.
The old church on 34 did not just get left to decay since Wal-Mart came to town.
There are many things I guess you could blame:city council, mayor, planning and zoning....a lot of things but Wal-Mart? Come on.

If you dislike the shopping center so much please return the revenue and the police car, jobs, ect. they have provided, it is simple, just give it back.

I want to know why I pay $3000 a year in taxes so I can pay to  pave my own road, pay to send my children to a decent school, pay to have someone pick up strays, pay $25.00 for every mangy stray to go to the pound, pay to have security in my community ect....... please don't give me the poor, low-income hick bit.

I understand that maybe a little progress has angered you and disrupted your simple ways but rest assured I am not the one putting on make-up, text messaging with the girls, driving a Hummer 60+ miles per hour down your dirt and rock roads, I could point in the right direction of offenders but hey.........

I wasn't the one that shot that poor woman at the game room, I also was not the one that shot and killed and dumped the body of the nice man known as "Catfish" (both these things happening in just one month) but that is just how it is in the country? I certainly hope you do not choose to accept it, I don't.

Game rooms on every corner are okay with you too I suppose? Cesspools of drugs and "low income" reaching for the brass ring...please say you do not condone that. I guess since a certain city charges a "tax" it makes it okay to have one in that town? The are all illegal gaming operations or else they would not be open; if they were not paying cash prizes why would anyone go? Some more of that good country life for ya I guess.

My "area" of the lake is very well maintained. Who made that happen? Well I'll tell ya.....me and my neighbors. We were sick of what was going on in our area..drugs, loose dogs, children that were "home schooled" running around all day with no supervision ect.

Within 3 years of fighting the sheriff, the county and making our voices heard and NOT being afraid of the "country" folk that have been running the scene for many years, our area is clean with one or two exceptions. If a small group of people can do this in one area why is it the paid employees of a municipality can not? Am I the only one that thinks a downtown area tells all about the people that live there? A cockroach in my glass of tea in one restaurant and watching a grown man stick his arm in a bucket of marinara and then scrape it clean in the same bucket in another keeps me eating at home, guess that is covered under the "country" part you are holding strong to? I have always lived outside city limits, in many states but this "city" of Quinlan we all share is a sad representative of a clean, "good 'ol boy" town. Low income is no excuse for filth or laziness.  

I know we all have our own opinions and deep convictions that will not change. I believe I made a mistake buying here and as soon as the economy turns back around color me gone....believe I'll move to the country.

IP Logged
5th grader

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2008, 6:03pm

One more thing.......I remember Quinlan as being the gateway to West Tawakoni in the late 70-early 80's and by gateway I mean to the bars where the naked girls danced, remember that? I was just trying to figure out when it was a nice clean town and I am also trying to remember the "onslaught" from the west....................

Happy Holidays!! Wink

IP Logged
5th grader

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2008, 6:12pm

I just found out who the gin belongs to...how funny. A paid city employee, wow.

IP Logged
CptJack
Godd Member

Nearest fishin hole
Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2008, 10:23pm

5th grader wrote on Dec 6th, 2008, 6:00pm:
Very well. You have made a statement, you feel better about your self now and even got the wife to pitch in, great.

Hehe. Well I got your attention at least, but evidently I din`t get through. My bad.
My wife is sort of funny that way. She has always had a mind of her own.

"The pizza place in town did not just start falling apart and down since Wal-Mart came to town.
The old gin did not just become covered in obscenities since Wal-Mart came to town.
The old church on 34 did not just get left to decay since Wal-Mart came to town.
There are many things I guess you could blame:city council, mayor, planning and zoning....a lot of things but Wal-Mart? Come on.
"

Wal-Mart is not the problem. You missed the point. It is why Wal Mart came here to begin with is the problem.

The old gin didn`t cover itself in obscenities. It is an innocent bystander and a reminder of how things once were here and through the county. That was before our life blood, cotton farming along with the family farms that were a way of life, got sold out and outsourced to other countries. Progress. We have "progressed" ourselves into the near financial collapse we are in now. I`d certainly like to be able to haul another double trailer full of that fluffy stuff to a gin again...and pick up an ice cold, 6 cent coke while I was there, like I did in my youth...........back before we made all this progress.

"If you dislike the shopping center so much please return the revenue and the police car, jobs, ect. they have provided, it is simple, just give it back."

Once again, the shopping center is not the problem, but gee, Wallie is in the same town that you despise so much. Evidently all that revenue you speak of is not doing much to improve the very town it is in because if it were all them old eyesores you despise so badly would be getting cleaned up and brought up to the standards and state of the art as the monster itself is. Wonder where all that revenue is going? I know I can pick up some pretty nifty, inexpensive stuff from China when I visit Sam`s legacy though.
I`m sorry, but I am unable to give  the revenue back. I haven`t seen any of it my way. Have you?
Might as well give the police car back, whoever is over that decision.
From what I have seen of it, it spends most of it`s time sitting at one fast food joint or the other................usually along with a few of the county cars we paid for. The same county law enforcement that has a very dim view of lake residents in general and a response time of frozen molasses.

"I want to know why I pay $3000 a year in taxes so I can pay to  pave my own road, pay to send my children to a decent school, pay to have someone pick up strays, pay $25.00 for every mangy stray to go to the pound, pay to have security in my community ect....... ."

I can certainly understand why you would want answers to those questions. That`s the point I was trying to make.
Doesn`t sound like all that generated revenue is getting to the right places , does it?
I certainly can`t answer those questions. Maybe those questions could best be answered by the same totally corrupt system that has been in place so long that they don`t believe they have to answer to anyone.
It would take people willing to get involved enough to get off the couch long enough and take interest though. That or maybe vote out the ones who want give the answers to those questions.
Doesn`t do a lot of good to just to complain about the situation, then play musical chairs with the good ole boys that be when election time comes. We had a shot at breaking that cycle in the Sheriff`s office this year, but evidently there were enough voters who either doesn`t care enough to do it or are not interested enough. If we had enough people that were a little more than tired of it......say like you and me we could take care of the problem. Smiley

"please don't give me the poor, low-income hick bit"

Hehe. Not a chance I would give that to you. It`s about the only thing I have left after busting my chops all my life to the point of eating pain for breakfast to sundown 24/7. There is not a big payscale for you after you are not able to donate yourself to the machine. But hey.....I`m breathing and I can still get my leg across the saddle of my Harley on the good days. It`s not all bad.

"I understand that maybe a little progress has angered you and disrupted your simple ways but rest assured I am not the one putting on make-up, text messaging with the girls, driving a Hummer 60+ miles per hour down your dirt and rock roads, I could point in the right direction of offenders but hey........."

Yep, we both could and I did. See...we agree on more than you thought. Smiley

"I wasn't the one that shot that poor woman at the game room, I also was not the one that shot and killed and dumped the body of the nice man known as "Catfish" (both these things happening in just one month) but that is just how it is in the country? I certainly hope you do not choose to accept it, I don't."

It is a hard pill to swallow, but I am just amazed that it doesn`t occur more often under the circumstances. It`s still better than Dallas in my books though.

"Game rooms on every corner are okay with you too I suppose?"

Don`t guess you read the advise that I gave a newcomer here recently. Gamerooms...your one stop shopping source.

IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2008, 10:26pm

Ahem!
I like it quiet...that's why I'm here.
I ain't wantin a lot of development out here.
I ride in to Rockwall if I get to missin all that.
But in economic terms, if it ain't growin
it's dyin. The proof is all around us.
I suspect Quinlan is due for a makeover.
Might need a bailout to get it tho.
Sad
Tom

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print