Home | About | Area Directory | Classifieds | Free Email | Site Map

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's up with taxes in Hunt County? (Read 7637 times)
QUEST
LTOF Newbies

HIDDEN CREEK ESTATES
What's up with taxes in Hunt County?
Mar 16th, 2007, 1:33pm

I have a lot that I have not yet built upon that I am paying $1200 a year in taxes.  A lot on the Texas gulf coast runs me about $50 per year.  I know the appraised value is far above what it should be, especially with the water situation.  I don't think one could retire in Quinlan without taking on a part time job to pay for the taxes...maybe a greeter at the the new Wally World.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Re: What's up with taxes in Hunt County?
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2007, 2:24pm

I agree.  We also have waterfront land on Tawakoni, which is now not considered water front by Hunt county, because the water is so low.  Our taxes were cut in half last year.

Did you see the same benefit?  If not, ask your neighbor.

DaSquirrel

IP Logged
QUEST
LTOF Newbies

HIDDEN CREEK ESTATES
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2007, 8:33am

How does that work?  Did you have to go back to the county for the reduction?  I have a lot that is on a creek that has been dry since about July.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2007, 1:22pm

I had no involvement.  My taxes were just cut in half.  I never had to complain, however I think my neighbor did.

I think my tax cut was a piggyback off my neighbors tax cut.

Sorry I can't help anymore.

DaSquirrel

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2007, 9:51am

Well, I about to waste another day fighting my taxes this year.  Last year my estimate was cut in half, because our land was not considered water front anymore, but for some reason this year they doubled our estimate.

I have heard that appraisals are only lefgally allowed to go up 20%, unless you have inproved the land.  So, Hunt county did something they knew was illegal, which forces me to take a day off work, and go fight with them.  I really don't like them.

Here are my current order of dislikes:
1)  The Reverends (Sharpton and Jackson)
2)  Hunt County Government
3)  Dallas County Goverenment (They did a simialr thing to me this year, but they raised it exactly 20%)
4)  Hillary Clinton
5)  The SRA

DaSquirrel

IP Logged
melndon

Skeeter Rules

quinlan
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2007, 12:54pm

Well, I asked them about getting my taxes lowered since I am technically not waterfront till we get more rain, and Hunt co told me that they did not know anything about lowering for that reason, since the lake will come back up probably this year. I just spoke to them on Monday.  The good news is... they did not change my value or my raise my taxes at all from last year. I called and got them to lower it back to the amount I paid for it 2 years ago last year and it all looks good now.

Good Luck..

IP Logged
Pushdown33

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Quinlan
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2007, 5:11pm

We are nowhere near the lake but our value went down and get this out taxes went UP.  Lips Sealed

"If God brings you to it,He will bring you through it"
  IP Logged
skycop1947
LTOF Newbies

Can't,-- never
could!

White deer lake tawakoni
Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2007, 8:35am

[quote author=QUEST  link=1174077224/0#0 date=1174070024]I have a lot that I have not yet built upon that I am paying $1200 a year in taxes.  A lot on the Texas gulf coast runs me about $50 per year.  I know the appraised value is far above what it should be, especially with the water situation.  I don't think one could retire in Quinlan without taking on a part time job to pay for the taxes...maybe a greeter at the the new Wally World.   [/quote]

Two years ago my taxes  here on the lake were around $250. Im on SRA land so this is taxes on my structure--(home). Last year it was $600  --seems it was reappraised (SP)-- I would gladly sell it to the appraiser---for half the value-- its now taxed at.
                                        ---ski---

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2007, 2:23pm

Well, I just lost my tax protest.  About half way through the protest, I simply came to the conclusion that nothing I said mattered.

The nail in the coffin for me was when I asked the board for the actual appraisal of my land.

They replied, "Well, we didn't do an appraisal.  We approximate our appraisals by comparing your lot to ones with similar conditions."

I asked, "Can I see which lots you used?"

The response, "It's complicated."

I hope their building floods!!!!

IP Logged
melndon

Skeeter Rules

quinlan
Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2007, 2:35pm

I hate that... so sorry DaSquirrel..They did the same to my neighbor. Last year, they tried to raise my value to 30000 over what I paid for it and all I had to do was fax my closing statement showing what I paid for it and they knocked it back down. But they raised my neighbors by about 40000 which almost doubled her value, because mine was around that mark, and her house is half the size of mine, and no where near the condition. There is no way that her house is valued equal to mine...it is impossible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print