Sabine River Report (Read 67810 times)
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Sabine River Report
Oct 29th, 2007, 10:39pm

I will try to keep this up to date.
The drought is over and the river is once again alive with a diversity of life.

Currently (as of 28 Oct) adult bream (perch if you wish) appear to fill the bottom of the Sabine.  I caught some small bass in medium to shallow water and one pounder bass close to the bottom were the bream were feeding.  Channel catfish can be caught, but the
bream will knock off the bait as son as it hits the bottom.  Last week I caught channel catfish and drum.  The week before that (Tuesday afternoon) while the river was descending from the flood brought about by rain, the blue cats were biting (I hooked a 20 pounder, but could not get it in).  The fight on my special kmart 20 dollar fly rig with 20 lb cajun line was an exciting battle.  I use poles (cane and telescopic), but the simple fly reel allows to let out line.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Re: Sabine River Report
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2007, 2:22pm

Hi River Rat,

Good report.  I am guessing this is below the Tawakoni dam.  I have never been below the dam.  Where do you put in?  Is there much current?

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2007, 6:39pm

I live on FM 2947 about 1/2 mile south of Hwy 69.  That is on the Cow Leech part of the Sabine and north of Lake Tawakoni.  The weather was so nice last Saturday, I had to fish again, but stayed on the bank this time.  I didn't count all that I caught, but cleaned 20 nice size bream (one was 3/4 pound "big un", then rest were 1/3 pound hand size ... okay I have small hands).  They were still feeding on the bottom and it took me 3 hours to catch enough eating size.  I threw back as many as I caught (maybe some twice).  I caught one channel catfish 1 1/2 pound.  It was a good mess of fish.  I had forgotten two things.  How tedious small fry are to clean (not difficult) and how good they taste.  I did not catch any bass nor drum ... nor sand bass ... nor crappie.  I did catch some small snapping turtles.

The leaves were falling and the weather was very pleasant.  It was a great day to live in texas.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2008, 9:57pm

Well ... sorry for not updating regularly.  I had a problem with my password and finally got back to posting.  Every season is different.  This year it rained regularly, and the water didn't clear up of stay calm enough for crappie.  However, for a short time (late Feb and early Mar) the sand bass bit great.  I used my favorite jig (pink lead head and white grub), but any white or shiny lure put them on the stringer.  The unusual thing about this year with regular rain and moving water was the catfish.  My freezer is still full.  Channel Cats around 2 pounds each were normal, and some 3 to 5 pound blues were off an on.  When the water was calm, I saw ans caught more 6 inch bass (released al of course) and saw hundreds jumping in a few hours period.  If even part of the population survives I predict Tawakoni Lake will slam full of black bass in a few years.  I am still waiting on the water to settle and clear up.  Although the duck weed (world's smallest Lilly pads genus Lemna Gibba) coats the surface, the black bass should be biting in the areas wind blown (again if water ever settles).  I tried fishing the shallows of northern Tawakoni last week, but it too was not clear and the southern winds were kicking up white caps.  If we do not get rain in next week or two, I will try "Fire and Ice" worms with Carolina rig (weedless hooks).  The bream should bite.  For those of you wanting Gar Balls, by all means take as man y Gar as you wish.  The are plentiful and massive.  
I will now try to find the area to change my password, else I may have to get another "temp" password for next posting.
Cheers and good luck with the angling.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2008, 10:54pm

The duckweed has bloomed and covers much of the river (at least my neck of woods).  However, were the wind blows the weed clear, the black bass are biting.  I caught one the other day on one of my favorite worms for the river ... the "fire and Ice" which is mixed blue\red with glitter.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2008, 2:40pm

WooHoo, I have a DSL connection now, so maybe I can post more reports without my connection crapping out on me.  The river has been cut off from the lake for about 6 months.  When the level got to the point where the bass had to decide whether or not to go south or north, many decided to go north into the river (from Tawakoni).  As they were traveling up the river in groups, they were feeding and I was able to catch my limit for several days.  The largest I caught was 4 lbs, but I saw some that were 5lb plus (huge !).  I do not know what that means for the bass when the river floods and the waters flows fast.  If they survive in the shallows, there should be plenty.  As for the current condidtions, there are spots covered by duckweed, but there are areas clear.  I have not put in my boat in a month, but caught some catfish with worms the last time I did.  I am waiting for floods to catch catfish and then the sand bass run in the spring.  I will try to send an update the next time I catch fish and let you know what is biting.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2009, 9:37pm

There was a good rain today.  I am hoping a good flood will happen soon.  The lak needs to equalize with the river so the sand bass can run in the spring.  I have caught them as early as mid February.  If the lake does not fill and equalize with the river, that will not happen.  Time will tell ....

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2009, 11:17am

Is the river still navigable with a kayak/canoe?

Are there any deep holes that still hold fish?

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2009, 11:05pm

Hi Squirrel,
Yes the river is in great shape.  It was a little muddy, but has cleared up now.  Kayak, canoes, and flat bottoms jons have no problem.  I have not fished the river lately, but there should be plenty of fish hemmed up since they have not been able to get into the lake since mid-summer 2008.  Whether or not they are biting .... well that is why the call it fishing and not catching.  Good luck and let me know if you go.  I may try some bank fishing Sat or Sun to test the waters.
Cheers.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2009, 9:16pm

I tried to catch some bottom feeders Friday afternoon before the cold front came through;  All I would up doing was drowning some worms.  By the way, I dig my own worms.  The last time I bought some worms, they were a product of Canada.  I mean, come on!  Can't we even sell US worms?  At least they are North American and not from China.  Sometimes I have to dig half way to China, but when the fish are biting, the worms seems to be close to the surface.  Anyway, the fishing is still slow.  I await a good flood and warmer weather.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2009, 11:29am

Great Post.....Lets us know when the water is running to the lake, We need it Wink

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2009, 8:47pm

Saturday was just too nice not to fish.  After looking long and hard, I finally found some worms (up under that old wood pile).  That should have been a clue, as it seems when the fish are biting the worms are easy to dig.  I put the Jon boat in the river and drowned worms around the trunks of stumps, but if there were catfish they weren't biting.  Next I tried my best river lure (pink lead head with white grub).  I caught one little bass, so I decided to put on a plastic worm and went to a spot I have always caught bass.  There were more bass, but all too small to eat the 6" worm.  I went back to the grub and caught one of them.  I tried deep hoping for a larger bass, sand bar fish, or catfish; but no joy.  It was a beautiful day and very relaxing. It was windy, but the beauty of river fishing is that you can always find a lee spot out of the wind.  COME ON rain.  We need a flood.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2009, 8:28am

I love your reports.  kepp 'em up.

What are you calling a sand bar fish?

I normally fish the 751 bridge on the SW side of the lake.  I usually fish much more in the spring on Tawakoni.  

Where do you launch to get river access?  

I hope that flood comes today.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2009, 8:52pm

The sand bar, or bar fish is commonly known as the yellow bass.  It is small and averages about a half pound.  They like the lake, but can suvive in the river when cut off due to low water levels.  I am lucky enough to live on the river, so I launch behind my house.
I dunked some worms today and something kept stealing my bait.  I had on large catfish hooks (size 2 0n one rig, and size 4 on another).  I switched to a size 6 and caught the culprit.  It was a Warmouth (bass or perch, depending on your point of view).  If you have never caught one, it looks like a cross between a bream (perch) and a largemouth.  I through a lure for a whie, but got no hits.

IP Logged
crappiefan

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2009, 3:39pm

starting to catch a few crappie in shallow water- i have been fishing at the boatd coks at anchor inn and marina del ray off of 751- nice set up at del ray but kinds small- $5 bucks to fish for 24 hours aint bad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print