River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Re: Sabine River Report
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2009, 10:25pm

Is Marina Del Ray on Tawakoni?
As for the river (north of Tawakoni as I had in mind for this blog),
it is still cut off from the lake and a flood is still needed to get crappie into the river.  A few may have survived in deep pools, but it takes high level (at least 434 in Tawakoni) before the crappie can get in to spawn.  I have not caught crappie in the river (North of Tawakoni) in any good numbers for over 3 years.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #16 - Mar 11th, 2009, 10:32pm

Woo Hoo ... It's raining in Hunt County!  And the spots needing rain to fill Tawakoni (eastern and northern Hunt county) are getting quite a bit (3 inches in some areas).  It is okay that it rains inches on the lake, but hey!  That just raises the lake a few inches, right?  The real way to fill a lake is massive amounts over the drain area, and I think that is happening.  I might try to catch some catfish tomorrow while the river is flowing, but if not I will definitely fish Friday and the weekend.  I will let y'all know how it goes.  I am also hoping the sand bass are staged and ready to run in.   They might get trapped if the level doe snot go up high enough, but that just means more fish for me!

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2009, 9:00pm

The Sabine River is flowing again!  The level at my place is about 4 feet above normal and rising.  The crest should come later tonight.  For those of you interested, you can see the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrations Hrdrologic gauge and prediction data for Greenville, Quinlain, and Lake Tawakoni itself at
http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/index.php?wfo=fwd
If that dos not work go to
http://www.weather.gov/ahps/
and then select Texas until you zoom down to the Tawakoni area.
I have found that when the crest at the Greenville gauge is reported, the crest here (about 1 mile north of Lake Tawakoni) is about 12 hours later.  I suspect that even though Tawakoni is 5 feet below pool level (pool is 437.5, and lake is now 432.5) that the catfish, sand bass and other fish will be able to run up the channel into the river.  Once the rain stops falling, the river will take about 1 week to settle and clear up (not totally, but enough) and if the sand bass did make it in, they will be biting.  That means that a week from Saturday (which will be the 21st of march), should be a good day to catch sand bass (or Sunday 22nd) in the river.  As I have said in previous entries, you can use whatever lure you want, but I recommend a pink lead head with white grub (cheap and they seem to like them just as good as silver lures).  The bridge at Hwy 69 is a good spot to test the waters from land, and if you have a kayak or canoe you can get in and find good spots.  If the sun is out, try the shadows in the middle of the river  between 10 AM and 2 PM.  If cloudy try casting 45 degrees to banks and bringing the lure back to your boat.  If you don't catch um, it ain't cause I didn't help you.  By the way, I caught one catfish today in the eddy behind my house.  It was cold (41 degrees), but I had fun.  Good luck and I will update soon.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2009, 12:08pm

River_rat,

I will try to make it to the white bass catchathon next weekend.  I will be in an orange Wilderness System Ride 135 kayak, with a big white crate on back.  

I have been doing very well on striper at Texoma.  On the lake, I have been catching tons of small keepers and below the dam I have been catching bigger fish.  I have been using live shad.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2009, 8:42pm

The river is still flowing and this afternoon it was about 2 feet above previous stagnate level.  There seemed to be a lot of rain today, so it might flow for another day or two, but unless it rains again next week, the weekend of 21 March should be good conditions (if the fish were able to run in).  I normally get out in my jon boat.  I started with paddle, but I bought an electric motor.  I catch more fish not having to rearrange from wind drift.  Does a kayak drift much Squirrel?  I have been in a few, but have never fished from one.  If you hit a spot with one sand bass, you will probably find more, but if hits slack off I recommend you move.  The bass seem to hang out in certain areas of the river (were conditions are good for them).  I have had days were I would catch onesie, twosie here and there.  If they do bite next week, they will probably be hungry.  The first run tends to beat them up pretty good as they band into the debris of the flood.  I sometimes will put them back it they have open wounds (even if fresh).  Not because I fear disease, but the meat can be bruised.  After several or three weeks, they all look good and lay their eggs (probably around full moon in April.  Last year the schools offspring fry were so big (great in numbers) that it looked like a giant shadow moving in the water.  That is usually in May before they run out to the lake.  In previous years, that got stuck in the river and I assumed all died off.  But last year, there should have been millions which ran back to the lake and are growing into nice good sizes by now.  It would be interesting to tag some and see how many years they live in teh lake before coming back into the river.  Oh well, enough gabbing.  I hope new weeks weather is sunny and we all catch our limit.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #20 - Mar 14th, 2009, 8:47am

I look forward to your post everyday now that we have had some good rains..wounder how much the lake will come up now..Keep up the good work

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2009, 7:54pm

The river is on a slow flow now and winding down to a stop in the next day or so.  According to the NOAA Hydrologic gauge, Tawakoni rose over a foot, and is at 433.12 as of this post.  The lake needs to come up to around 435 before the lake and river connect while teh river is not flowing.  The river is also EXTREMELY muddy with a visibility of about 3 inches (my estimate from dipping a white grub).  I will keep my fingers crossed and try a lure before teh weekend to see any anything white bass hit, but from my previous experience (and confirmed today) it takes about a week to clear up enough for the sandies to see (and perhaps long enough for them to get hungry).
Post you later and remember, "If you don't catch um, it ain't cause I didn't help."

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #22 - Mar 20th, 2009, 8:34pm

Howdy Y'all.  I have been checking the river daily since the flood.  I am surprised that the river is still on a trickle flow.  I think that means the ground is saturated and water keeps draining (or leeching) into the river.  The clarity is about 2 or 3 feet.  Wednesday and Thursday, I slung some grubs, but did not get any hits.  I was just testing the waters from the banks, and my throwing arm was off, so I wound up leaving some tree ornaments and unfortunately river trash (a few grubs).  Maybe I can recover some when I put in the boat tomorrow.  The good news is that I caught one crappie today while testing for sand bass.  The bad news is, I caught a crappie while testing for sand bass.  However, it was encouraging that I caught something.  I know from my previous years, that the sand bass usually feed at mid day (between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM.  I caught the crappie today at 2:50 PM and I was cranking moderately, so it must have been hungry.  Although the river is not as clear as I was hoping, this weekend should provide good indications on the numbers of sand bass and crappie in the river from the last flood.  The river level is almost back to the stagnate level.  For those of you who have not been on the river, it offers an opportunity to scope out the stumps and bank undercut areas where fish hangout when the lake level is at pool level (437.5 feet).  At that level you can get just about any size boat into the river, but depending on where you put in, it will take you a while to get there.  Also, there are lots of stumps, and sunken logs, so if it ever gets up to that level, be careful.  Sorry to ramble.  I really hope to get some good river fishing in tomorrow.  Even if the fish don't bite, it should be an excellent day.  It is so quiet, and you can always get out of the wind (at least move to a leeward location).  Hope everyone  fishing tomorrow catches their limit.  and remember ... if you don't catch fish, it Ain't cause I didn't help.  BTW, if you want a lazy day fishing, try minnows and varying depths around 2-3 feet.  That way you might catch crappie, sand bass, or any other species.  If you go the the sand bass, sling those jigs (pink lead head, white grub with twister tail), or you favorite lure, but don't blame me if you loose it.  There are more ways to lose tackle on the river, than congress and the president have ways to spend money.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #23 - Mar 21st, 2009, 5:59pm

Bad news.  I didn't get a single sand bass bite today.  I put my boat in at 0930 and was at the mouth on north Tawakoni lake my 10:00 AM.  I started up the river and kept throwing jigs, but I got the same result all the way back to the lease behind my house ... nada ... nothing ... ZIPPO.  I did pull in one large mouth weighing about 3/4 of a pound in a spot where I have always caught sandies, so that kinda sealed the deal that the sand bass did not make it into the river.  I could be wrong and maybe they just aren't biting, but I don't think so.  Oh well, I will try to drown some worms soon and see if the catfish pick up.  Sorry for the bad news, but at least now you won't have false hope.  It was a pretty day and peaceful.  I saw a sow pig and 9 piglets on the edge of the river.  Then a loud racket that sounded like something (coyotes or dogs) trying to get a piglet meal (growling and squealing and such).  I also saw two moccasins.  One (2 footer) was slithering on the edge looking for a meal, the other one at least 3 feet long (didn't know they got that big) was warming up on a pile of logs.  I have hd people tell me they killed a moccasin (or some other poisonous snake) only to check it and see it was non-poisonous.  Either way, I usually leave them alone.  I normally see water snakes and rarely see moccasins, so it was a little unusual seeign two in one day.  There are also three hawk nesting areas along the river between my place and the lake.  lots of ducks today (wood ducks and mallards).  I also saw cranes and herons.  It was a good day for nature m=watching and relaxing, but a bad day as far as catching fish.  Oh well, that is why they call it fishing and not catching.   I hope y'all had better luck than me.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #24 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 8:30am

The weatherman said it is going a few day this week..hope the river flows...

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 3:30pm

I had other engagements this weekend, but I did have time to fish the Elm Fork of the Trinity River on Ray Roberts Saturday Morning.  That is a much closer drive for me than Tawakoni.  Hopefully, we will move out to Tawakoni in the next few years though.

Anyways, no one was catching sand bass there either.  I caught 4 crappie, 2 largemouths, 1 big drum, and I had something wrap me around a log.  

A kayak does drift alot.  Seriously, alot.  It took me a while to get used to it, but I love it now, plus I get my daily excercise.  

To slow my drift, I use a rope with some chain links on the end of it.  I run the line through the back of the kayak, and I attach it with a bungee.  This provides some give.  Some people use a drift sock, but that doesn't work very well in rivers, especially if they have debris.

The water temp in Ray Roberts was getting close to 60, which means the crappie should start spawning soon.  The white bass spawn is probably close to over, and I hope the main lake spawn was good.  With no river access, the population depends on the main lake spawn.

At full pool, how deep is the river?  Do you ever see/catch hybrids or stripers?

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #26 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 8:59pm

Hey Squirrel.  I have caught stripers and hybrids at the mouth of the river when the water is up, and few times further up river, but not often.
The kayak deal sounds good, and it appeals to me so I can get to more paces.  
I have a friend who lives on Tawakoni and he caught sand bass and catfish staging in the shallow parts of the lake waiting to run into creeks if it floods again last Saturday.  He said that large catfish (tail fins the size of two hands) were running in schools very fast and and the shad were jumping out of the water.
I think I need to fish the lake until it floods again.  Catch you later.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #27 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 9:14pm

I almost forgot, about the river depth, it varies depends on various factors.  Where the river meets the lake, the water is a foot deep right now and as you go up river, it falls rapidly to 15 feet or so (deep blow out hole), the it goes to about 5 to 10 feet generally in the middle and slopes to the banks.  The banks are river level at the lake, and gradually get higher as you move up river.  The river also narrows and widens as varying distances.  The cool thing about the river is that it changes every time it floods.  Where a log jam is today, may not be there after a flood.  A hole that is 20 feet deep, may only be 10 or 15 feet is debris fill it after a flood.  I lived in Alabama as a kid with free flowing creeks, which were muddy most of the time, but sand bars were reshaped after floods and holes varying like here.  My cousin went swimming and dove into a hole that had been 12 feet deep and was 4 feet at the time he dove in.  The had serious hearing loss and was lucky he didn't break his neck.  Lesson learned ... check before you leap.  I have some favorite spots for sand bass, others for catfish, and yet others for bass.  The area under the power lines about 1 mile south of Hwy 69 and about 300 yards down river from there is a good spot for black bass in the spring and summer.  At that far end (300 yards south of power lines) is also the biggest Gar spawning area.  In the summer, there are hundreds of gar congregated (weird).  If you like "dem garbolays" dat would be da spot (for you cajuns).  
That talk about free flowing rivers makes me miss Alabama and other rivers I have fished, but these Texas drain rivers is all we have, and I ain't complaining (too much).  Over and out.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2009, 9:13am

Will? is the river running in the lake?

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #29 - Mar 26th, 2009, 8:45pm

It ran into the lake when it flooded ... Smiley
At the moment there is a geographical point where the river ends and the lake water is hundreds of yards away (separated by mud).
I believe when Tawakoni pool level gets up to around 434 or maybe a little higher towards 435) is when the lake level equalized with the river.

I checked the river today and the water has cleared up, but the tree trash (pollen, blooms) are still heavy on the surface in some areas.  Unlike the lake where the wind blows all surface debris to the shore, the river either absorbs debris (sinks) or maintains on the surface (for man-made trash and floating wood) until it is flushed into the lake during a flood (if not trapped somehow).  I tried a earth worm on the bottom for about 30 minutes, but did not get any bites.  I saw something hitting the surface and walked over to where I saw it.  At that spot I look down from the bank (about 5 feet above the water) and a black bass quickly left the bank area for deeper water.  About 5 feet away, I saw the water move. Let me explain now one of my fishing rigs.  I have a cheap Walmart fly rod that I converted for jigging and had a pink head with white tail (not plastic, but feathery nylon).  It conveniently lets me let line in and out without getting the rod hung up in tree limbs.  Back to the story.  I put the jig in the water (I had a cork abotu 2 feet above the jig) and my cork took off to the middle of the river and headed down river.  I thought "what in the world"?  It started taking out line, and was headed for a stump, so I pulled hard and tried to pull the fish back towards me.  The pull was strong, but felt a little odd.  I saw a flash and thought maybe some sand bass made it into the river.  Wrong ....  it was a black bass.  The reason it pulled hard and did not surface like most bass to try and spit out (shake out) the jig was that the jig was hung in the left eye socket.  I got the fish on the bank and retracted the hook.  Luckily for it, there was little (if any) damage.  It didn't even hurt the eye.  It was a good size fish about 14 inches and 1.5 pounds.  I released it back and tried some more, but did not get any other hits.  I don't know if they are spawning, since it seems too early, but it is still good to know the large mouths are still biting (or is that eyeing?).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print