Send Topic Print
Sabine River Report (Read 61792 times)
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Re: Sabine River Report
Reply #30 - Apr 02nd, 2009, 8:26pm

I told a fella I work with about the bass I caught and he threw a salamander in his pond and caught 6 of his bass.  I don't know if that means bass are bedding in general, but it does match up with my experience in the river.  If you are out, you might try it.  I have caught bass before like that.  You can also drag a shallow diving lure.  The bass strike the lure thinking it is a predator coming to eat the eggs.  Try drag your lure (I think a plastic salamander work best) about 3 feet off the shoreline.  Let me know if you have any luck.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #31 - Apr 13th, 2009, 8:40am

With the rain Easter Sunday, Is the river running to the lake???

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #32 - Apr 18th, 2009, 8:30pm

We got a nice flood Easter weekend and yesterday/today.  I attached a photo of the river behind my house that I took just before dark today.  I caught a stringer of catfish this afternoon.  I will post another reply with those pictures and tell the stories.

IMGP1412.JPG
  IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #33 - Apr 18th, 2009, 8:47pm

I have attached the picture of the fish I caught today.  I started off trying to fish the eddy (see previous picture), but did not get any bites, so I fished the bottom of the current.  The first fish I caught was the largest one.  I had been fishing for about 30 minutes at that point.  The next two came pretty quickly, but then I ran into "issues".  If you fish enough, you know that you just have to work through the problems and refine the techniques and be patient.  I kept getting hung on something and breaking lines.  Sometimes, I would get a bite and the fish would run up under the snags and I would either break lines, pull off hooks (those were my fault for bad ties), or pull up debris.  After I adjusted my area to fishing (cast more up river), I bot bites, but they were all mud cats.  I also caught a young snapping turtle.  I moved out to the area you see on the previous picture and fished straight down river (why didn't I think about that at the beginning?).  I had a goal of filling the stringer, and was 3 hours into the deal.  I finally got my self imposed quota around 6 PM and knocked off to clean the fish.  That is the great part about having a fishing area within walking distance.  At least one of the one I caught was full of developed eggs.  All were Channel catfish.  I saw catfish boiling at the surface also. There were also bass hitting the surface.  Before the flood, sand bass were running in the shallows of Tawakoni, so I hope some made it into the river, but will not know for about 5 to 7 days.  Hope you enjoyed the pics and story.  The catfish are in the river and biting.

8_cats_18_Apr_2009.JPG
  IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #34 - Apr 18th, 2009, 8:54pm

By the way, the boards under those fish are 2X8 (really 7 1/2 inches wide).  The largest fish was around 3 pounds and the smallest was around a pound.  I filleted out about 4 pounds of meat, and plan to have fried fish tomorrow .... yum, yum.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #35 - Apr 28th, 2009, 9:19am

Sabine River..Report!!!!!

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #36 - May 2nd, 2009, 10:29pm

Sir, yes Sir!  LOL.
The Sabine River above Tawakoni flooded over the banks Friday and finally went down today.  The rains tonight are projected to put it over the banks again tomorrow (from NOAA websites, see previous post for URL on gauges).  The catfish were biting as the waters receded.  I caught 18 in 5 hours.  The NOAA gauge shows Tawakoni level at 434,5 feet.  A gas motor boat came down river as I was starting to fish this morning.  I sure hope he made it to the lake.  One wrong move on a small flooded river like the Sabine could make you have a really bad day.  Not much more to say.  The sand bass never made it into the river.  There seem to be hundreds of gar, and catfish are plentiful.  If Tawakoni fills up, the black bass should come in after the flooding stops, and the bream should also be plentiful.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #37 - May 4th, 2009, 9:55am

I bet the river is running today? I spent Sunday putting some fishing benchs on the dock, and I also saw a lot of Gar in less then a foot of water..Guess there getting ready to spawn...Are they good to eat? They are a mean looking fish..I never cought any Gar before, I guess you don't lip them when you hook one..Will they bite you when you are swimming?
Don't know the name of the creek off of 34 just south of Quinlan, but it was full and flowing fast...What is the pool ft number when the water is going out the spill way? you know

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #38 - May 5th, 2009, 10:21pm

Here is a run down on my fishing experience on the Sabine River north of Lake Tawakoni (about half way between the lake and Hwy 69) over the last 5 days.
Friday 2 May, the river was flowing at a good rate receding.  I caught 4 good size channel catfish (1.5 lb average) in a couple of hours.
With the rains Friday night and Saturday came the flooding.  By Saturday afternoon the river was over the banks, but just barely.  I was able to drag my boat into the eddy outside of the main flow and caught 18 channel catfish.  The sizes were better with average about 2 lbs.  Sunday afternoon was the best day for me.  The river was cresting and I was able to put my boat in the same general area as Saturday, but had a better angle on the overflow from the river and drainage flow into the river (hard to explain, but imagine a creek running into a flooded river and that is what I have behind my house).  I caught 3 big blue catfish at least 5 lbs each.  One was so big I couldn't touch fingers when I put hands around the head.  I caught another blue about 3 lbs and 14 channel catfish, one of which was 4 lbs and the rest about 2 lb average (really good size fish).  That day was one of most fun days fishing a flooded Sabine river.  On Monday (yesterday) I went out after work (okay, I went home 1 hour early) and the river was still over the banks.  I put my boat right next to the river flow (it was down about 8 inches from Sunday) and fished directly under the boat.  I caught channel catfish (about 1.5 average and one 3 lb), 2 drum, one bar fish, and believe it or not, I caught one sand bass on a worm no less!  I checked my fishing log from several years and I never caught a sand bass in the river after 7 May, so I doubt if they will stay long, but this has been a freaky year, so you never know.  Today, the river was way down, and flowing at a slow rate, but the catfish were biting.  I caught 6 channel catfish, one blue catfish, and one drum.
When it stops raining and the water clears up, I would imagine if you float the river and fish with worms and minnows, there is NO TELLING what you might catch.   And yes Lake Daddy, some peole (Cajuns mostly) eat Gar.  They cut the strips of meat out of the sides of the back and mix it with spices and dough and fry it.  There are recipes on the internet if you are interested.  The gar were swimming back to the lake today.  It seemed like one every 5 seconds swam by and were hitting minnows and bugs as they went.  Please feel free to kill as many a possible.  I heard one of my neighbors shotting them this afternoon.  Good riddance to them!  My fish fever is somewhat cooled, but I suppose I could put more meat in the freezer in the next week or so before all the fish run back to the lake.  Like I said though, I do expect a good year for black bass in the summer months in the river.  Hope ya'll can get on the river soon and enjoy the peace and quite.  Don't forget to bring bug spray ... the skitters are out.

IP Logged
lakedaddy
Godd Member

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #39 - May 7th, 2009, 10:18am

Good job.... Wink

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #40 - May 8th, 2009, 9:45pm

The river went down significantly today.  I set a time limit of 2 hours for fishing (I know, I know ... that is sacrilege, but I had something I had to do).  Anyway, I fished from 3-5 PM.  I don't know if it is the warmer weather, or what, but the channel catfish were biting aggressively.  It felt more like work than fun trying to keep my hook baited.  I was sweating up a storm.  Worse yet, the wind died down somewhat.  I was fishing a pole and a rod and reel, but after the second double, I just switched (catch one on pole, the next on rod & reel).  I caught 15 good size (1.5 lbs) cats and one small drum.  All on earth worms, which are still easy to dig close to the surface in grass roots.  Yesterday, I fished 3 hours and caught 9 cats.  I hope to get one more river flow day in tomorrow, and will probably hang it up until next week when the water settles and I can get my boat in.  Hope ya'll get some fishing in.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #41 - May 13th, 2009, 3:18pm

Were they full of eggs?  The spawn should be on, and channels like to spawn in current.  

Hard to beat an afternoon of catfish jerfkin.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #42 - May 16th, 2009, 11:10pm

Times being relatively good over the past years, I have spoiled myself and only fillet the fish, and have not done any autopsies to find the egg status Smiley.  However, I fished Friday and only caught smaller fish (12-16 inches of so and about 1/2 to 3/4 lbs).  I guess that might mean the bigger fish are spawning.  A coworker told me that people are catching catfish at the bridge east of downtown Greenville, so maybe the big one have just moved further up stream.  I might get back out tomorrow, but my angling fever is a little cool.  If it ever does stop raining, I hope to try for black bass down where the river meets the lake.  A grass carp was tearing up the flooded vegetation hitting minnow, bugs, or whatever they eat (anything they can find would be my guess).  Saying of the day, "Catch em while you can".

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #43 - May 24th, 2009, 6:19pm

This is a delayed entry.  The catfish were biting last week.  My sone fished a week ago Thursday with some friends and caught 2 large crappie on minnows.  I might not have believed him except my friend in Hideaway (private community) said the large crappie are biting in the shallows of Lake Tawakoni.  Hope that helps some of you catch some crappie in the river or in the lake.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #44 - May 29th, 2009, 10:36am

I love eating fried gar balls.  I hate cleaning gar.  You need tin snips and a hacksaw.  "Eating fried gar balls" probably came out wrong.

It is illegal to kill a gar unless you intend eat it.  They are a native species.  If you ever see any grass carp, plecos, or tilapia, you are required by law to remove their inestines, as they are extremely invasive species.  I don't think Tawakoni has a problem with any of these though.

I will be making a stock the freezer fishing trip this weekend.  Destination 751.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print