Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Sabine River Report (Read 60175 times)
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Re: Sabine River Report
Reply #45 - Jun 12th, 2009, 10:42am

I fished the coves North of the State Park, across the bay, during the last two weekends.

May 30th weekend, I caught 17 blue cats, 9 channel cats, and 2 nice largemouth.  The biggest blue was 8 lbs, and I caught my biggest channel ever at a little over 4 pounds.  Most of the blues had eggs, but none of the channels did.  Most channels had the bullheads, which I think means male, so that may have been why.

Last weekend, I caught 19 blue cats, 4 channels, and a very small white bass.  I caught the white bass on a 6/0 hook on a shad head.  I let a bunch of these fish go, as I had already stocked the freezer from the previous weekend.

I caught most of my fish on cut shad and worms.  I think the gar were hitting the cut shad, but not the worms.  That was my reasoning for using worms.

I caught these all in less than 10' of water on noodles, and I would hand fish between the noodling.  I made a few "rope hooks" for gar, but I couldn't ever catch any.  I was hoping a gar would give me and my kayak a ride around the lake, but that never happened.  

The cats in the lake were pretty hungary as most of their stomach contents were mush.  In one fish, I found some unusualy berries.  Maybe mulberries or blackberries.  I also found a ton of soured maize in their belly, so they must have been drunk swimming around.

I have noticed that I never find crawfish in the guts of the cats on Tawakoni.  Do you guys ever see any live crawfish?

I also caught a salamander in my cast net.  I am afraid that he might not have made it, because I paniced like a little school girl thinking it was a snake.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #46 - Jan 31st, 2010, 10:00pm

Hello fellow anglers.  Sorry that I have not been providing any reports.   Before I give a report, let me tell you what is up with me.   I started renovating my house back last summer and have been busy through the fall and winter getting it ready for sale.  It is now up for sale.  If you know anyone wanting to live on the river, my place is 4741 FM 2947.  MLS# is 11329117.  It may appear expensive at the onset, but when you realize I have almost 4 acres on the road, and 8 acres of lease back which is (in my opinion) the best location on the river between hwy 69 and lake Tawakoni), I think the price is justifiable.
Now for the fishing report.  Catfish are slow to bite, and more finicky than normal finicky, but they are biting.  I caught two in 2 hours this afternoon.  They were a couple pounds each, but most of that was body mass (not much meat) due to winter atrophy.  
As wram as it has been, I wouldn't be surprised if the sand bass don't start running soon.
A co-worker said that the crappie were biting at Cedar Creek and Tawakoni shallows, but most are non keepers.
It is shaping up for a great fishing and boating experience on the river this spring.
I am moving to a place on the lake, but will continue to report on the river fishing.  I encourage each od you to help me with reports of the Sabine River, but ask that you only report on the section between hwy 69 and Tawakoni, since the river runs all the way to the gulf.  If any of you have sites reporting other areas of the river, please post the URL for the rest of us to check out.
Thanks and look forward to a wonderful spring fishing season.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #47 - Feb 20th, 2010, 10:37pm

I tried the sand bass the last two days.  I fished after 3PM both days and did not get a bite.  I igged for Crappie also, but still no joy.  The water is still muddy from the rain and snow melt flow.  The River is flowing at a snail pace.  Plant trash is on the surface in the non-wind blown areas.  I will try again tomorrow around noon.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #48 - Feb 21st, 2010, 7:43pm

The bad news is that the crappie and sand bass are still not biting.  The good news is that Channel Catfish and Bream are biting.  I caught 8 catfish and 2 bream today.  I caught all of them on the bottom of the river with earth worms.  I was surprised to catch the bream.  I probably could have downsized from my #6 hook to am 8 or 10 to catch more bream, but they didn't steal too much bait.

BTW, if you are on Facebook, do a search on the "Sabine River (Hwy 69 to Tawakoni)" group.  I am the administrator, and you have to select "join", but that is just so we don't get random posts.   I am not sure that I will continue to post on this forum.  The FB format is just so much easier and modern.  I hope to see you there.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #49 - Feb 26th, 2010, 7:18pm

The river is still muddy.  I think too muddy for bass (sand bass and black bass).   I also think too muddy for crappie.  I have not measured the temperature, but it is probably in middle to upper 40s   The sand bass should be moving in any day (if not already).  I threw some lures today, but did not get any hits.  I did not try for catfish.   I DID however get my Jon boat ready for tomorrow (Saturday).  I will try for those catfish and bream and may toss for sand bass.  The sun should be shining, so I might get lucky and get a jig close to a sandy.  I will let you know how I do.  BTW, I did not post the last time, but I saw something in the river pushing high waves as is swam.  It could have been an otter, but I think I would have seen it surface.  I am thinking the big daddy and big momma catfish are in the river to spawn.  Hook em and HANG ON!   See ya on the river.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #50 - Mar 1st, 2010, 8:17pm

I put my boat out on the river for the first time this year this past Saturday.  I started at around 9:00 AM.  I trolled all the way to the lake, but did not get a single strike.  I tried throwing grub lures at the mouth (where the  Cowleech branch of the river meets Lake Tawakoni) and did not get any hits there either.  I sunk some earthworms out, but did not get any bites.  I started back and threw lures and tried for catfish (worms) along the way (at various holes).  I did finally catch one channel cat and one mud cat, but that was it.  The water was extremely cold.  I guess I should be careful at my age.  A mistake at that temperature could be the end.  Of well.  There are worse ways to die.

I tried again yesterday (Sunday) from the bank, but didn't get and hits on the grub lure.  I have mentioned in previous posts, but for those of you reading backwards, my most all round best jig for sand bass is a pink lead heap and white 3 inch twister tail.  They will bite anything shiny or white, but I lose so many that the cheap lures are my favorite!  

If we get 6 or 7 days between rains, we might have a chance of catching some sand bass here pretty soon.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #51 - Mar 9th, 2010, 7:43pm

Well ...  I didn't catch any sand bass last week end, but a coworker of mine says he caught a couple at the bridges on Hwy 69.  So ... there are sand bass in the river.  However, the river is flooding and up to the bank today.  I have caught sand bass during floods, but it was always on live minnows in the eddys.  As much as I hate to say it, I wish it would not rain for about 2 weeks.  There,  I said it.  If we go into a drought, you can blame me.  But I doubt that will happen.  BTW, the average last freeze is 17 March for this area, so we could have had our last freeze.  That is, except that our last freeze last year was 12 April and this has been the coldest and wettest year since the 1950's (or so I have been told).  Enough about the weather.  I am going to try again this weekend regardless of weather.   See y'all on the Sabine!

IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Reply #52 - Mar 10th, 2010, 9:12am

Actually, I expect a drought to follow this rainy season.
One never knows for sure.
Man, I'm tired of rain.
And cold!
Tom

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #53 - Mar 10th, 2010, 11:28am

Thanks for the report.

This year is el nino, and a drought would be a huge surprise to me.  

I am going to make the float from 69 down to the lake when the water warms up a bit.  From google maps, it looks like once I get to the main lake, I can turn back north, and there is a little cut to a boat ramp off 2947.   It looks like the cut is a creek from the overflow of the greenville club lake.  

Is this a useable ramp?

IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Reply #54 - Mar 11th, 2010, 10:10am

I'm hopin el nino is about over...remember how wet it was last year?
This thing's gotta end sometime, but even the pros don't know for sure.
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html...
Tom

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #55 - Mar 11th, 2010, 8:45pm

DaSquirrel,
The ramp you are talking about is the Cedar Creek ramp.  It is the creek that Club Lake overflow path.  If you put in at Hwy 69, you will hit the lake in about 3 miles.  When you get to the lake, bear right and go as far north as you can, and then head west.  Normal years it is marshy, but it is fairly deep 3-4 feet so you can go just about anywhere.  The  Cedar Creek ramp is in pretty good shape.  I see trucks putting in every week (almost daily now).  I am curious though, how are you going to get from Cedar Creek ramp to the Hwy 69 ramp?  That is a good 2.5 miles by road.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #56 - Mar 16th, 2010, 9:28pm

The sand bass are starting to bite better.  I only caught 4.  Three of the four were females.  I heard that a fellow down the road caught 50 Sunday night.  I don't know if he used minnows or lures, and I don't know if they were attracted by the lights, or perhaps all the sand bass in Tawakoni decided to run in that night.  I have not heard any reports of Crappie biting in the river.  A coworker has tried on a pier on Tawakoni (Hideaway Estates), but they have not started biting in the shallows either.  Hopefully the rain will stay south and the water rill clear up.  If so, this weekend should be awesome fishing on the Sabine River between Hwy 69 and Lake Tawakoni.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #57 - Mar 19th, 2010, 10:37am

River_Rat wrote on Mar 11th, 2010, 8:45pm:
DaSquirrel,
The ramp you are talking about is the Cedar Creek ramp.  It is the creek that Club Lake overflow path.  If you put in at Hwy 69, you will hit the lake in about 3 miles.  When you get to the lake, bear right and go as far north as you can, and then head west.  Normal years it is marshy, but it is fairly deep 3-4 feet so you can go just about anywhere.  The  Cedar Creek ramp is in pretty good shape.  I see trucks putting in every week (almost daily now).  I am curious though, how are you going to get from Cedar Creek ramp to the Hwy 69 ramp?  That is a good 2.5 miles by road.

We use two trucks.  We put two kayaks in one truck, and drop the empty truck off at the take-out point.  Then we go launch and leave a truck at the launch.  After finishing, we go pickup the truck at the launch

Currently, my wife is pregnant, so she just might be my designated driver for this spring, if I can get her out of bed in the morning.  

I live in carrollton, but I fish Tawakoni regularly.  I have floated 3 of the major feeder creeks, and I would like to float the cowleech soon.  

I tried to float the sabine this year below the dam, but I quickly turned around after the 4th serious log jam in less than a mile.  

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #58 - Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:59pm

Cool beans, Squirrel.  I think you will like the Cowleech.  It is the best set up that I have seen in 6 years due to all the rain.  It was flowing today at a good pace, and very muddy as you would expect.  The leaves are staring to put out and the flowering trees have blossoms (some white and some purple).  I am hoping for it to sellte down and be good around 2 April, as my Mother and step-father as visiting from New Mexico that week end.  Iy may settle down enough for this weekend, but it will probably still be cloudy (especially if it rains more like the WX folks say it might).  I fished for about an hour last Saturday.  It was wet and cold, but the water was finally clear so I had to do it.  As I fished, the river started flowing and started to cloud up with all the silt washing in.  I caught 8 sand bass, but threw 4 back.  3 of the 4 I kept were females.  The eggs were not fully developed.  From what I have read, they do prefer a slight flow and lay their eggs in mid stream, so they ought to be happy and prolific this year.  Hope you get to do you run and that the rain settles down.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #59 - Mar 26th, 2010, 9:26am

Most of those blooms are redbuds and dogwoods, which along with dafodils are the natures signal for the white bass run.  Bradford pears and other fruit trees also bloom this time of year.

I will be making this float on Sunday, planning to launch at 11:00.  It looks like a 5 mile float, so I expect to be off the water by about 4:00 or 5:00 depending on if we catch much.  

Keep an eye out for me.  

My name is Brian.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print