Send Topic Print
Sabine River Report (Read 62412 times)
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Re: Sabine River Report
Reply #60 - Mar 29th, 2010, 8:49pm

DaSquirrel,  Glad to meet you and see you and the fellow Kayakers on the river.  That sure is a nice Kayak rig you have.  Too bad the river was muddy, but at least some of the trees were blooming and leafing out.   It was luck that I stepped down to the river right when you came around the bend.  I had some yard work that I had to get done before I went fishing.  BTW, I caught 4 big Sandies in about a hour after y'all passed by.  I can't wait to hear about your trip and what you think of the river.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #61 - Mar 30th, 2010, 10:20am

Nice to meet you also.  

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=140136

This is where I post most of my kayak fishing reports.  

I was surprised at a few things.   There were no logjams in the river.  The river was 20 feet deep in a few places, and 12 feet deep holes were very normal.  It rarely got shallower than 5 feet.  This place is very kayak friendly when not in drought, but I have never heard of anyone floating it.  

I caught 16 big females and 2 males.  I cleaned 10 of them, and they sure made for good eatin.  

When I saw how deep it was, I am interested in doing a nighttime flathead fishing trip.  I think I could legally setup camp on one of the islands in the river and fish all night.  

Do you ever see flatheads caught from the river?

We got smashed in the face by a hurricane when we left the mouth of the river paddling towards the cedar creek ramp.  I am still a little sore.  

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #62 - Mar 31st, 2010, 9:00pm

Cool report DaSquirrel.  I have measured some of the holes by line, but getting the digital deep low down is great.  I have caught a few flatheads, but mostly channels and blues.  When you get ready for a trip, pass me an email or phone number, and I will let you know if it is good timing to camp on my lease.  Like I said, I am trying to sell my place, so maybe you will like it enough to buy it  Smiley.  I also own the property on the lake adjacent to the Cedar Creek landing (where you got out).  That is why I need to sell this place.  I will check out your Kayak site now.  Glad y'all had a successful trip.

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #63 - Mar 31st, 2010, 9:21pm

DaSquirrel,  I like the Kayak blog and the pictures.  Your temperature reading matched mine of 57 degrees in the river.  With the temp of 62 at the lake, the crappie should be moving, but a co-worker says they are not biting in shallows yet either.
BTW, I should have talked with y'all more, I need the story behind the Kim Chi bomb.  I lived in Korea 5 and a half years, and my better half was born in Korea.  Shameless plug follows:  "Kim's Fashion" is the best Clothing Alteration shop in Greenville Texas.  Kim is my wife.  I caught the fish, she and a lot of other Koreans eat them.
I hope all y'all fisher people are ready.  Starting tomorrow or Friday, I bet you can't put a lure or minnow in the river without something biting it in short order.  Of course, the rain will screw that up again, but hopefully it will clear up again next week.

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #64 - Apr 2nd, 2010, 2:45pm

Kim Chi Bomb is a friend of mine who's mother was Korean, but he was mainly raised by his dad.  He is a 6 foot tall korean who sounds like a 10th generation Oklahoman.  Fisherman always have good stories.  

I usually keep enough fish for a fish fry, but I let go a bunch of fish also.  The White bass run is always a fun time to fish any river.

Do the crappie migrate upstream to spawn?

I rarely catch Crappie on Tawakoni, but when I do, they are monsters.  

Keep in touch.  Brian

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #65 - Apr 2nd, 2010, 9:52pm

Still no Crappie, but they should spawn in the river this year.  I went with my Mom and Step dad to Canton today for First Monday Trade Days shopping.  Although tired, I walked down and fished from the bank at 5:00 PM until about 6:30 PM and the Sand Bass were really biting.  However, about 1 out of every 6 were too small to keep (many were legal, but I try to only keep big one, since I hate cleaning and only fillet now).  Anyway, I also caught some young hybrids and released them of course.  I caught over 30 fish, but only kept 6 of them.  Tomorrow, should be a GREAT fishing day.  I hope so, since I pan to take the Jon boay out and get my limit of fish.  Good luck, fellow anglers!

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #66 - Apr 10th, 2010, 7:56pm

Sand Bass aren't biting up river, but I got a report from Sam L. that there are big ones about 1/2 mile up river from the mouth of river into Tawakoni.  I caught a 3LB black bass (largemouth) a couple of days ago in the river just before dark.  I fished a couple of hours today and only caught a few small sand bass, but I did get some hits that felt like Crappie.

IP Logged
Slipcork
LTOF Newbies

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #67 - Jan 17th, 2011, 10:54am

Any reports on the river this year? I've fished it last year upstream of the 69 bridge,and did really good on the whites,,no crappie tho.Hoping to see a few posts soon,,it's just about time to start looking for the spawning schools in the river!

IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Reply #68 - Feb 27th, 2011, 9:09pm

I'm baaaack!
Wow. Almost 10,000 reads.  I guess people really like fishing (or at least reading about fishing).  Maybe y'all just want to know if the fish are biting.

Okay, here is the first Sabine River report of the season.
Remember, I only report river fishing (except I pass on what a friend tells me about the lake),
I went out last Wednesday afternoon and there was natural trash (and some human trash) covering 80 percent of the surface.  In that areas that I could get to (I was fishing off the bank of my lease), I got no bites whatsoever.  However, the next day it rain (lots).  The river flooded Friday and washed out all the trash (yeah!).
I had to work most of Saturday (yesterday), but I got out on the river in my flat bottom Jon about 3:30 PM.  I was trying to make it to the lake to see if the level was high enough for Sand Bass (White Bass) to run up the river, but about 1/4 mile down stream, a fallen tree blocked me and I didn't have the big bow saw to deal with it.  I will remedy that next time.  Anyway, I starting pitching the favorite pink lead head with white mister twister grub (more of a minnow look) and got zilch.  However, I noticed that the river was still flowing a little and I saw some catfish feeding on the surface.  I landed the boat and dug some worms, but by the time I got set up, it was around 5:30 PM.  The good  news is, the catfish were biting and I caught a 1/2 pounder.  The bad news is, the other hits all got off (too big of a hook for the small fry).  It was fun getting the strikes, and the channel cats were all biting ferociously, but I threw the one back thinking I would catch more today.  Boy was I wrong.  The river had almost completely stopped flowing, and I got no bites.
However ... I did see sand bass running upstream.  That was encouraging, but I got my lure out in front of them several times, and they ignored them (even seem to dodge the lure).  I guess they just had traveling on their mind.  In my previous experience, I have found that it takes about a week for the water to settle, and for the sandies to start biting after their initial run.  Therefore, I predict this coming Wednesday or Thursday to be the first good day.  If you try them, I would guess 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM will be the best time.  I will probably wait until next Saturday to get out on the boat, but I will try every evening to cast some and see if I can get any bites.
Remember, you can use anything shiny or white, and even yellow; but the river is gonna rob you so I recommend the 1/8 oz pink lead head with 2 inch grub (preferably the twister tail).
I hope that helps some of you and good luck with the river fishing.

IP Logged
Slipcork
LTOF Newbies

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #69 - Feb 28th, 2011, 7:51am

The spot I frequent was also full of trash,bags of it  Angry ,but it washed down with this past rain. Yestreday the road was still muddy in spots,but I managed to get down there without getting stuck or worse,sliding over into the barditch,lol.I hadn't expected to fish,I only had an ultra-light spinning outfit spooled with 4 pound line.I threw a 2" twistertail grub on an 1/8th oz. jighead,both pearl white.1st cast, nothing,4th cast,got a hit,but missed it,5th cast snagged on a root and lost my jig,, Embarrassed.The river was still muddy,but the flow had dropped way down.If the next rains are good ones,the runoff should be warmer and that would sure help getting the run going.I can't wait!!

IP Logged
DaSquirrel

Just Gathering Nuts!

Quinlan
Reply #70 - Mar 11th, 2011, 1:05pm

Good to hear a report, even if it wasn't the best news.  

I plan to fish the white bass run soon, but it sounds like we need rain.  And that rain might be a little too late.  

Hey River_rat, I tried to join your facebook group.  

I was the guy in the kayak that saw you on the river last year during the spring run.  

Do you ever see hybrids show up in the river?  Even though they are supposed to be sterile, they still run in some lakes.  It should happen a few weeks after the white bass spawn is over.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print