HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Archery? (Read 6354 times)
Gmoney

I Love TOL Forums!

Archery?
Nov 11th, 2009, 7:29pm

Hey folks, I have a young son 11 years old and I need a recomendation on where to get him some lessons. I dont know a whole lot about archery other than what I picked up in scouts. I want him to get the proper start so he doesnt pick up any bad habits out of the gate.

Thanks
G$

WWW   IP Logged
tbell
LTOF Moderator

T Bone

East Tawakoni
Re: Archery?
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2009, 10:44am

Don't know a thing about it, but there appears to be a place in Emory:
http://www.thearcher.com/clubs/cDetails.cfm?cid=619

also noticed a place in Commerce for canned hunts
(I think that's the term, not sure)

Anyway, the range in Emory sounds like it might be the ticket.

Tom

IP Logged
Gmoney

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2009, 5:50pm

Thanks, I sent them an email. I have my fingers crossed this works out. My sondoesnt ahve a clue we picked this up for him he is gonna go nuts.

G$

WWW   IP Logged
CptJack
Godd Member

Nearest fishin hole
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2009, 8:58am

Not clear whether you are speaking of target archery or bow hunting. There are hundreds of ranges scattered around. Just about any of them have guys that will be willing to help, especially a youngster. If you think he is going to be interested in bow hunting I`d suggest buying him some books by one of the greatest there ever was, Fred Bear. A good subscription to Bowhunter magazine would certainly be a plus on either account. The articles by such greats as Chuck Adams, Judd Cooney , Ted Nugent, etc. will have him wrapped up in the sport....no doubt.
A couple of hay bales or a good target in the backyard is the ticket to consistency . It`s something that needs constant practice and as a plus it provides hours upon hours of good, clean entertainment. I`d also suggest for a youth to use the K.I.S.S. approach with the equipment. You can always work up.....and will. The choices are endless. The techniques are endless. Everything from the good old basic instinct shooting to bows rigged so much they look like they belong in a Star Wars flick.
This is one sport that I would most certainly like to see more of the youth get interested in.

If ya aint fishin ,you aint living
  IP Logged
Gmoney

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2009, 6:12pm

Well Captn, you are certainly right about options. I have found somebody to help get my son on the road to being a safe bow handler. I have acuired him a competition style compound bow with all the bells and whistles. I am sure we will start with simple targets but like anything a young man will get his hands on maybe just maybe he will find his true passion early on in life. A subscription is already on its way. I am a hobby nut and read anything and everything related to what ever it is I am doing at the time and my son is NO different.

Thanks everbody
G$

WWW   IP Logged
DRAKE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2010, 2:09pm

Shadetree Bow Shop
7840 Fm 2101
Quinlan, TX  
903 883-2893