Send Topic Print
crappie time (Read 6595 times)
Old Navy
LTOF Newbies

Shut up and fish

East Tawakoni
crappie time
Feb 17th, 2010, 2:59am

I just got to this area moving from Michigan. Buying a house on or near the lake.  Plan to spend my days on the water getting to know the locals and the local fish. When do the crappie start moving shallow in Tawakoni.  How long will they stay shallow before moving off to deeper isolated structure.  Crappie in Michigan aren't much bigger than your hand.  So we never fish for them. These down here would make for some good eats.  I have plenty of time and desire to learn (when the wife lets me of coarse.)

Make the best of it, smile, your children are watching.
  IP Logged
River_Rat

I Love fishing the
river

Sabine River, FM 2947
Re: crappie time
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2010, 10:52pm

Welcome Old Navy.  I have lived just north of the lake on FM 2947 for 5 years.  My place is on the Sabine River.  I do most of my fishing on the River, but I hear the Crappie bit fairly well on the lake.  The Crappie runs into the river have been limited the last 5 years due to the water level being down, but that should not be a problem this year!  The crappie should start moving into the shallows at any time now and then into the creeks and rivers shortly after.  I bought some land down the road on Tawakoni Lake, and am trying to sell my place here.   The MLS # is 11329117.  BTW, the river maintains a good body of water (really an extension of Lake Tawakoni) and offers nice sunny warm, and windless areas when Tawakoni is windy.  Put in points are below the bridges on Hwy 69, and Cedar Creek (on FM 2947).  I keep my boat chained up back by the river, and spend quite a bit of time back there.  It should be a great year of fishing on the river.  You can check out my fishing reports on the Sabine River Report (part of LTOF forum).  Good luck with the fishing.

IP Logged
crappiefan

I Love TOL Forums!

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2010, 9:39am

i chase em hard and heavy in the spring- in the next couple of weeks, it will get good until about mid may

IP Logged
Old Navy
LTOF Newbies

Shut up and fish

East Tawakoni
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2010, 7:30pm

i've been at it for a week now with some mixed results.  It seems that the catfish keep gettin in the way!

Make the best of it, smile, your children are watching.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print